Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Busyness is not equal to Productivity

I just read this quote from CJ Mahaney in an email from a friend and

 found it really helpful, I hope you enjoy it and be transformed by it.


“I forget now who first brought these points to my attention. But the

realization that I could be simultaneously busy and lazy, that I could be a

hectic sluggard, that my busyness was no immunity from laziness, became a

life-altering and work-altering insight. What I learned is that:

Busyness does not mean I am diligent

Busyness does not mean I am faithful

Busyness does not mean I am fruitful

Recognizing the sin of procrastination, and broadening the definition to

include busyness, has made a significant alteration in my life. The sluggard

can be busy—busy neglecting the most important work, and busy knocking 

out a to-do list filled with tasks of secondary importance.

When considering our schedules, we have endless options. But there are a few

clear priorities and projects, derived from my God-assigned roles, that

should occupy the majority of my time during a given week. And there are a

thousand tasks of secondary importance that tempt us to devote a

disproportionate amount of time to completing an endless to-do list. And if

we are lazy, we will neglect the important for the urgent.” C.J. Mahaney

No comments: